As a Painter guy, I’m just learning about Photoshop’s brushes. So as I collect links to brush downloads and brush-related posts, I’ll put them here. If you’ve got some favorites you’d like to see included, by all means, add a comment, and I’ll add to the list.
Photoshop brushes by David Nagel
- Nagel Series 22: 25 natural media brushes
- Nagel Series 33: 20 chalk, charcoal, and graphite brushes
- Nagel Series 39: 16 wet, sloppy, rough brushes
- Nagel Series 40: 15 watercolor and wet media brushes
- Nagel Series 41: chalk, pastel, and bristle brushes
Trimoon (Stephen LeQuier) has generously listed a bunch of his brushes here, for free download. While you’re there, be sure to check out the tutorials and other useful resources, such as the free Impressionist plugin (Windows only).
- deviantArt has a huge selection: Categories > Resources > Application Resources > Photoshop Brushes; registration (free) required
- Obsidian Dawn
- Dubtastic has brushes and other stuff for download
- Trendy Robot
- Outlaw Design Blog – brushes from deviantArt
- Pixelbrush Brush Sets listing
Tutorials on How to Build Your Own Brush
This tutorial is by Paul Lasaine, who has worked for Dreamworks, Sony Pictures, Disney, and as an art director on The Lord of the Rings movies. See how he paints the feathers for a penguin character. In this tutorial, Lasaine explains how to create a decent pencil brush in Photoshop.